Sunday 8 May 2011

Get me Some Yesterdays

Last night I had a mini meltdown. Well - not a meltdown as such, but just an overwhelming feeling of  memories - which prompted a whole load of other feelings - warmth, happiness, sadness, more warmth, more happiness, and then more sadness  and then I decided I couldn't cope so would just put a bookmark in the pages of this mental memory book I'd opened, until another time!  Here's wot started it anyway - I was putting my son to bed and noticed he still had a bit of chocolate on his face - "didn't we wash your face?" I asked "cos you've still got some choccy there on your cheek". "No mum, YES we did wash it" was the reply - tellin lies of course, but anyway...rather than get him out of bed and back to the bathroom again I did something - and it was THIS that started the whole memory book episode. I went to the sink and soaked a flannel in warm soapy water, got a towel, came back into his room and sat in his bed and whilst washing his face and wiping his hands proceeded to tell him that "this was what my mum would do to me and S and D when we were little" -  "Why?" he asked ............"Just cos" I said....... " If we were unwell or we had been somewhere and not got back till late and had to go straight to bed, mum would just bring a warm flannel and a towel into us and wash our hands and faces while we were in bed" ......."Oh"....... and that (from him) was that. But for me it was another story. I got this overwhelming feeling of .....ohh..cant really describe exactly just what it was I felt, but anyway , and like I said before, this 'picture book' opened up and with each page I felt a sort of  'loss' feeling (for want of another word?) and a big grieving for 'those' days - when me and my sisters were little, and us and mum (and dad cropped up as well - cos he DID play his part - when he was around) all lived together. I had flashbacks of us 3, in our nighties, getting into bed and mum doing exactly what I just said I did to my son last night...and then a whole load of other pictures started popping up - anyway - my point being...I felt so sad. Not SAD sad..but like sad where you miss those times cos they feel sooooo far away. Here I was with my own child, my sis's have their own children as well.....and if truth be told we all now have our 'own' families - meaning we'd probably put our own children before each other - (we would though..wouldn't we?) something we probably never ever ever dreamt we would be doing all those years ago when it was just us - and mum - against the world. I don't know what it was, but it got me good and I felt awfully fuzzy afterwards!

Have you ever just stopped and thought? REALLY thought - like gone back to your childhood and pictured everything the way it used to be and then started to see it all so clearly like it was only yesterday (and like i did!) and then realised just how long ago it seems to be and how quick you seem to have gotten to where you are now - an adult (and parent?) yourself and a world away from those days. It really scared me - in a non-scary way though, if that makes sense, cos whilst I do accept life as it is, and that we all grow and it moves on and all that palaver - I also felt a silent panic cos I'd never be going back to those days. No more sitting around in our matching nighties or getting back from Moreton too late that we had to go right to bed and have our hands and face washed off mum in bed! Oh! I don't know. I don't know if what I'm saying makes bloody sense to anyone reading, although I know exactly what I'm talking about and how I felt, and why I felt it! I think you can get my drift though if you try hard enough (!) - we all have childhood memories that we sometimes wish we could just go back to - even if for just a day) I do anyway. Far too much goes on in this adult world of mine - give me those days again any day!

On a happier note (!) - it's my middle sis's birthday on Tuesday..I'm just thinking back to what we used to do on such days so that I'm able to send the perfect birthday tribute (and in honour of the magic days I keep going on about!)  Here goes:-

Happy Birthday S !  Mum said she's gonna do you a little party! There'll be butty's, sausage rolls and all the other stuff we like! Club's and Blue Riband's from Miles's and the lemonade man's been and we've got some cream soda or dandelion 'n' burdock!  There'll be You, Me, D, Mum, Dad and Mam 'n' Dad, and Peggy will probably pop in as well cos she said she's got you a present!!  Oh, I cant wait. Happy Days...............!

Hope u have a lovely birthday S. My present to you is this: when you wake on your special day - close your eyes and open a page (or 2) of the 'book' I happened to open last night. May you see all those days gone by when it was just US...with our matching nighties and laughing eyes, and no worry's, woes, or cares - and may you smile!

Love you.

J XX

(ps.....when you've done that - you can open this other lil pressie I got you)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH j im bloody speechless !!IM UPSET SAD HAPPY AND SCARED!!!
WHAT A LOVELY BLOG I HAVE JUST HAD THE BIGGEST SMILE ON MY FACE!! BROWN GIRL IN THE RING ..........THATS ME X
THE MEMORIES WE HAVE WE WILL NEVER FORGET .............WISH WE GO GO BACK FOR A LITTLE WHILE ..........WE HAD SUCH A LOVELY CHILDHOOD AND MY MUM DONE EVERYTHING SHE COULD FOR US AND ME MAM.

YOU HAVE MADE MY DAY TODAY
THANYOU SISSY LOVE YOU DOWN TO BURLY PARK AND BACK XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

J X said...

Glad you liked reading it as much as I liked reminicising about it! Hope your Birthday was filled with many happy memories from pages of the 'book' . J XX

Anonymous said...

Well! Where do I start from here...I start at destination Eldon Street, the crossover to to Titchfield Street turn the corner and end up in Burlington Street where the journey of my life as a friend, confidante, listening ear should I say (Cauliflower?)for you, well probably each-other first began. There have been many days as an adult lost in a cloud somewhere, puffing on cigarette and a little pleased that I have a job that allows me to live comfortably. But suffocating in skin that I wished I could peel off even if only just for an hour to step over into a "Yesterday Moment". But a sadness overwhelms me that that will never be. A life now often feeling unhinged and scream raging inside waiting to burst out of my lungs like lava from a volcano...but I suppress it. I extinguish the fire, put out the flames with a "Hello" to my boys and a reasoning smile inside to myself..."Keep it in, keep it in" not letting sadness lift to my face. I close the lock on the Yesterday Moment enter my life once again...some days the pigeon, some the statue...today I am not flying. I want to be me..I want to feel confident again..I want that burning desire within to light up once more where I feel the skin on my body glow, radiating smile with just looking after me...for just one moment..I matter! I am a person, yes a Mother a wife, and more often than not a Doormat. Tomorrow I might fly, tomorrow I may not be this recluse trapped in my own world trapped in my own body with hormones raging beyond reason? I am lost I am forgotten in a living sense, forgotten in a me sense...do I exist? Because all I seem to do is play Wonder Woman if only Jim'll Fixit for me? He never came. I had to fix it myself, I had to pick up the broken segments of my soul obliterated with depression, ill feeling a Clash of the Titan hormones racing through my veins. Instead I close my eyes to the hormone world and carry on with role play. Tomorrow is another day, I might spread my wings and fly...yet again! I have to wake up, it might just be another day lost in a bloated world, period pain, desire to kill, desire to cry and sometimes day. Then back to my normal two again, destination Happy...even if only for a while.But! Looking back Jx. If I could share a yesterday or a tomorrow, it would only be with you and I would take them steps to Burly and back again with you by my side as a best friend every time. Love me Cx

Anonymous said...

Sorry the above meant to say, sometimes, someday's the hormones in my body made me feel like I want to die.. scary that isn't it..Only ever two normal weeks out the month where I truly feel normal...head in a swirl and body in a whirl (long gone is that Twirl Girl Feeling) but here is to new dreams and new aspirations..
Cx Your blog is amazing well done you....love you more than you will ever know..