Friday 24 September 2010

A Life Less Ordinary?

I DEFY any woman who says that she has not, at some point throughout her life, felt 'lost'. Now, when I say 'lost' I mean a feeling of unhappiness or unfulfillment, and not being quite sure where you're headed or knowing where it is that you want to be in your life. You may be unhappy in your marriage or relationship or stuck in a job that brings nil personal satisfaction and has no future prospects, or it may me something totally different, and not one reason in particular except YOU JUST WANT MORE - Simple as that.  Life has many different paths, and sometimes the ones we choose to take don't always end up the way they cracked up to be.

Me, and MY life - I'm feeling lucky. Very lucky in fact. I'm  now settled at a good place.  Actually, it's the best. I'm happy and fulfilled and I don't feel 'lost'. Don't get me wrong, I HAVE though, been there - lost. It's not a very nice place to be and I've no intention of going back! I have a wonderful hubby, a beautiful son, a close loving family, and great friends. I'm in good health, as are my family, and for that, and all of the above, I am grateful!  I'm on the right path in my life, and it's the one I intend to stay on  (god willing!) I'm now, officially, where I am MEANT TO BE!  (Halle-fucking-lujah!) 
Now, whilst I don't exactly jump out of bed in the mornings to go to my job (I wont even begin to bore you with the details of that - yeah - it's that Zzzz) or feel totally satisfied that Ive exhausted all adventures, I am, in my personal life, happy and content. I mean, Ok, I wouldn't mind a job that I was totally passionate about, but for now, I'm doing OK, and it's nothing that I can't look  to change should I really feel I need to? I also wouldn't mind travelling and seeing more of the world, but no worries there neither, that's something I can do too? But, anyway, this is ME and MY life.

Everybody's life is different and and although it's said that we pave our own paths, its what we choose to do when we get there that matters. We should always ask ourselves the question; are we content with our lives? REALLY content?? TOTALLY content??? And if the answer is NO - then we owe it to ourselves to  'do it' or 'find it'. Whatever that IT is. It could be to end the marriage or leave the guy, change the job or lose the weight. Sometimes it's more simpler and might just mean saying Goodbye to the past and Hello to the future. Now - I know that some things are easier said than done, and some circumstances are more complex than others, but if you don't at least try, you'll never know? Right? We all have a place in life to be. Sometimes it's the getting there that's the hardest part.

Which brings me to Eat, Pray, Love! A fabulously warm and witty self penned memoir by Elizabeth Gilbert. To cut the story short, and not to spoil it by giving away too much, she is  -
"in her thirties, has a house, a husband and is trying for a baby....and she doesn't want any of it. Miserable and desperate she does something she's never done before; pray. Three years later divorce and a turbulent love affair have left her battered and bewildered, but with a freedom shes never had before, so she sets off on a year long journey, spends 4 months in Rome where she learns Italian and EATs too much pasta, 4 months in India where she learns to PRAY, and 4 months in Bali where she finds inner peace, and, of course - LOVE.  

Her book has now been made into a major film starring the lovely Julie Roberts and premieres today (Fri 24th Sept). Now I know that books are nearly always better than the film versions they make, but I reckon this one is a definite must-see.  I'll certainly be booking my seat. Just from reading the book I wanted to visit Rome, eat spaghetti and drink good wine, scrub ashram floors in India, and sit smiling, whilst cross legged and meditating, in Bali! (Erm...? Who says I cant? - I think I will)

So - If you're after something to do this weekend and could do with a bit girly time or personal enlightnment - A trip to your local Odeon will do just the trick! 

Eat, Pray, Love - Go, See, It!

Ive added a little clip below - take a peek.

J X

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read this book a while ago.....ur right it's great. Bit scared to see the film though as it usually ruins everything u've imagined. Might give it a go x

smithL said...

Read the book, cant wait to see the film. Hopefully it'll be as good. Love your blog by the way.