Sunday 3 October 2010

Take a chill pill

Some things are easier said than done - and relaxing is definitely one of them. Especially when your a woman. (Somebody forgot to tell Frankie this as well)

Yesterday, for me, was one of those days. Well - one of those mornings actually as I nipped it in the bud just in time. Phew. It was a nice sunny Saturday (no rain for a change) housework had been done, washing had been put on the line, hubby was in the shower, little boy already showered and ready for the party we were taking him to, new dress was hanging up ready to be worn for planned meal later, new shoes standing pretty under said dress....everything was just nice and right and running smoothly.... only thing left to do was shower myself and then, or as I thought at the time, I'd be good to go.  Who was I kidding - I was bloody knackered. Zapped. And it was not yet even 11.30am. I realised - that from the minute I'd woken up to that minute then that I'd been like Bionic Woman and hadn't sat still. Not once. It was then, for a quick minute and seconds from meltdown, I stopped, took a deep breath and said that 5 letter word. R.E.L.A.X.


Now, I don't know about you...but when it comes to relaxing its not something I find I can do so easily. I mean I - ME, sometimes, when I want to relax, I DO try, but my body and mind have a mind of their own - and when they say "GO", boy, do they go. (Apparently this is all down to the Hormones. Yep - again.) Why is it that we sometimes feel the need to get EVERYTHING done in such a short space of time? It's ridiculous. Yesterday morning I (ridiculously) did all of the above mentioned things in 2 hours flat - house sparkling, laundry sparkling, son sparkling - the only thing lacking any sparkle was ME - and no bloody wonder. I felt wiped out before the day had even begun. But...that was just yesterday - a 'one-off', and just one of those days when those little 'fiends' got the better of me - until I took over that is (and when I ordered myself to relax!)

I made it to the kids party - had a lovely few hours sitting in the sun and enjoying watching the kids play and get their faces painted and feeling totally relaxed. Later on that evening my little boy went to the grandparents so that the hubby and I could go out for dinner. New dress on. Check. New shoes on. Check. Eyes done. Check. Ready to rock 'n' roll. Check. (Well, OK, the rock 'n' roll part - I exaggerated a bit - these days I'm a cheapo date and more likely to be home in bed fast asleep before you can say 'lets dance') The hubby kept saying how 'hot' I looked - and if I'm being honest - I felt hot! (that's a new dress & shoes for ya!) Just before we arrived to the restaurant I looked in the mirror to check my lip gloss and realised I'd forgotten to put my earrings in (I DID put them in my bag. I could have sworn I DID!) For 10 whole minutes I insisted that hubby searched the car - no sign. Then I stepped out the car (with tears in my eyes cos I didn't have my earrings) only to find out that when I walked my new shoes were slipping off. OMG. WTF. And just like that those 5 words went right out the window!  Sitting in the restaurant, It took me a good 15 minutes to get a grip, and only after a few words from hubby "You're not gonna let something as stupid as earrings, spoil our night are you" and "what more could you want? here we are - lovely place, good wine, lobster risotto and your worrying about earrings and shoes!" (He was right, and I felt ashamed so gave myself a mental slap)  BUT (and to put an end to my 'misery') - there were just a few things I needed to do, SO.. this is what I did -  I stuffed some tissue in the front of my shoes (it worked!) I rang the little sis (who I thought owed me a few favours so wouldn't mind returning one, tonight at least) and got her to drop some earrings to me. She did. Sorted. So then there I was - back to feeling hot (!) with my gold loops in and my tissue filled shoes, and you know what, just like that I started to relax again! What is it with us women? Even I got annoyed with myself for nearly allowing  something stupid to spoil an otherwise lovely night. I tried to explain to the hubby what it is with women and earrings and that without them I felt 'undressed', and also how I'd been looking so forward to our night that I was just pissed off that things hadn't gone according to plan. He weren't having any of it. No - "its all in the mind" he said and "earrings don't make ya"...........Whatever.

Anyway - had a lovely night (once I alloweed myself to) and today, its been a triple HHH day for me - Happy, Hormonal &....Hungover!  Sometimes there's no need whatsoever for not allowing ourselves to stop and just let things 'be'.

So..... it does, at times, help to listen to SOME bits of advice from others - the case here being Frankie. When he said to 'relax' - he also said "Dont do it" - Ignore him there girls and listen to me on this one. Relax - DO IT

J X

2 comments:

BODblogger said...

I was lucky enough to watch actress and playwright, Anna Deavere Smith perform live at my university just last week. Each of the monologues she performed were oral histories with underlying take-home messages. The one that stood out the most was from her one woman play "Let Me Down Easy".
She shares an interview she has during lunch at a diner with former texas governor, Ann Richards--who, at that time, was battling cancer. Main message from the monologue: SAVE YOUR CHI. People & just every day life in general will suck as much energy out of you. By the end of the day, you feel wiped out and pretty much left with no more energy for yourself. Don't let the little things stress you out, because it's those little things that leave you feeling "hung over" and make you crash at the end of the day.
Hang in there!!

HRT@prcpb.com said...

whoa! I saw this blog and I can't do away to not read it. I bet you had a great time anyway. The problems of women that men can't get. Good job. More blogs please.